Blog sponsors

Blog sponsors
PRECIOUS KIDS SCHOOL SITE

Saturday, September 20, 2008

COLLIE BUDDZ EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW


Bermuda born dance hall and reggae sensation Collin Harper aka Collie Buddz is taking the dance hall and reggae charts by storm with his monster hits 'Mamacita' ,Blind to you' and Come Around'. His out sold all reggae artist with his self titled album for the first 12 weeks of it's release and was #1 on the billboard top reggae albums. George Otieno had an Exclusive moment with him.

You were born in New Orleans, but you moved to Bermuda as a child. How was growing up in Bermuda, seeing how much of your life was spent there?
Reggae music was always a big apart of my growing up in Bermuda. Anywhere we went as kids we had a session tape or strictly the best album or raga.

Does your background have any dance hall or reggae influence?
Reggae music was the only music I listened too my whole life. It was until recently that I started listening to hip hop but more so only to stay current and update with US industry. And the connection that dancehall, reggae and hip have is amazing.

Most reggae and dancehall musicians have entered the hip-hop and R&B market in America and are making serious collaboration tunes with America's big names. Whom have you worked with?
Many of the big hip hop stars including G-Unit, Paul Wall, Young Buck, Tony Yayo, Bone Thugs, Yung berg, Busta Rhymes, Lil Flip and it has been good experience. The fusion of the music is excellent and the result is new flavor.

And you also worked with Beyonce –where you did the remix of her track, "Ring the Alarm." How did that come about and what do you think of her?
That came about through SONY. I had just been signed and they had a sort of reggae remix to the song so they asked me to sing something on it and I did it. I think Beyonce is the biggest artist in the world right now...she has a great voice and is amazing on stage! She is also very talented and beautiful.

How was it like working with the others?
Wicked man, I must say. Funny thing, I was never in the studio with any of the artists I have collaborations with. But it's a great feeling to have huge artistes like Busta Rhymes and G-unit on the same track with me.
Why did you turn down a deal with Interscope records and instead signed with SONY BMG?

I first met with Interscope before Sony...they never got back to me. Then when Sony wanted to sign me interscope wanted to get in touch. By that time it was too late because I had already built up a relationship with Sony.

Most of your latest songs in your 2007 self titled album say "Come Around','Blind to you', "Mamacita"and "Tomorrow's Another Day" are all straight hits but your album since it's release never did well in terms of sale. What went wrong?

Actually I'm very happy with the way it has sold...I out sold every reggae artist for the first 12 weeks and it was #1 on the billboard top reggae albums. Reggae music never really sells too well so my numbers are actually very impressive for a Reggae album. I think a little more help from Sony could have taken the album further but shit happens.
Do you have a mamacita? Why not?

I got many mamacitas.

In the song 'defend you own', what message are driving home?
That you can't let anybody take what's rightfully yours...nowadays you have to fight to keep whatchu have because there are people that will come snatch it from you. So you have to protect what's yours.
What inspired your 'Collie Buddz' album?

My life's experiences and friends and family
What's your favorite tune on this album and why?

Mamacita because all the girls go crazy whenever that song plays..or while I'm singing that song on stage.
Your style is not the original type of dancehall people are used to. You term it ragga soca. What is it?
I think its pretty close but there is a Bermudian influence. We don't have our own type of music here in Bermuda but I try and mix some of our terms and slang and incorporate it into my songs.

How did the Beenieman/Bounty Killer lyrical wars influence you?
I used to listen a lot of sound clashes. KillamonJaro was my sound back then! And Beenie and Bounty influenced the clashes so much. Session tapes were the best way to stay up to date on new tune back then. But Jaro supported Beenie man and sounds like King Addis supported bounty so when the two sounds met it made it a very interesting clash! Both Bounty and Beenie are incredible artists that have stayed relevant throughout the evolution of dance hall. I got a lot of inspiration from them.

From your website you recall days when you used to trek to Florida for a degree in audio engineering, a path that brought up Bermudian studio. How was your university life like?
The school I attended in Florida was called 'Full Sail'. It was a really great opportunity to learn more about the music from the engineering stand point. They taught me everything from how to Solder Mic cables to Audio post production and ADR (audio dialogue replacement) for movies! I enjoyed University life because I was learning about something that I was very interested in. The best move that I made in my life was to attend university.
Reggae is about conscious messages. Some of your songs can pass out to be controversial. But what controversial message have you ever passed across?

I think the only controversial songs that I do are about Ganja. That's all...maybe 'Wild Out' is a little too explicit for some people but dancehall music has always been that way. It's for fun and controversy and explicit is what defines dancehall music.

What do you hate about politics and what are you trying to do about it?
I don't like the lies...a lot of politicians promise you one thing and then go do another. I just sing music...not much I can really do but keep a positive message in my songs.

Have you ever faced racism in the reggae and dance hall since you're amongst the few white musicians in a genre dominated by blacks?
Yes, I have but not very often and it's not extreme. Being white singing in predominantly black genre of music you tend to get it from time to time. But that's expected and I don't watch it closely. But one thing you shouldn't forget is that there's so much love in our music style.

No comments: