Blog sponsors

Blog sponsors
PRECIOUS KIDS SCHOOL SITE

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

BRITISH A-LISTERS IN KENYA FOR CHAIRTY TREK

A number of British celebrities that include R&B star Craig David, BBC's Radio 1 DJ Scott Mills, BBC's Radio 4 broadcaster Peter White and X-factor finalist Olly Murs flew into the country for a five day 100 Km trek across the Kaisut desert in Eastern Kenya an effort to raise money for people in Africa with serious eye conditions.
AND they’re off! The heat is on for three Hampshire celebrities today as they begin a five day charity trek across one of Africa’s most inhospitable plains.
R&B star Craig David, Eastleigh-born Radio One DJ Scott Mills and Radio Four broadcaster Peter White are braving Kenya’s Kaisut Desert to raise money for people in Africa with serious eye conditions.
The trio face a 100 kilometre slog in 40C temperatures as the BT Red Nose Desert Trek gets under way .
But Southampton-born Craig, 29, told the Daily Echo he was unfazed by the challenge.
“I’ve been out in South Africa a few times as an ambassador against Tuberculosis, so I’ve experienced those sorts of temperatures before. But on those occasions I’ve just been meeting people that are suffering with TB, not doing anything this physical. But I just couldn’t say no. It is a once in a lifetime experience and you are helping so many people at the same time. 
“I think people are expecting me to sail across there and carry everyone’s bags for them but that’s not going to happen!”
He added: “The biceps will be there but they will just be chilling.
The camels can do all that hard work!  “It’s obviously going to be difficult having to walk such a distance in that heat, but I think that with the people we’ve got taking part we will keep each other’s morale high.”
Craig believes the personalities in the star-studded team will have no problems getting along throughout a grueling week.
“Everyone will bring something different to the table,” Craig said.
“If people want to hear about Scottish heritage, Lorraine’s got that covered, if people want a song, Ollie can handle that and if they want to hear about Saints playing Man United then I’ll gladly talk about that!
The former Bellemoor School pupil is taking time out from recording a new album at his Miami home to take part in the trek, having arrived in Nairobi to acclimatise on Friday.
But the 12-time Brit Award nominee made sure he stopped off in Southampton to say goodbye, before flying out to Kenya.
“I was down in Southampton on Tuesday. I got back from a show in Russia and missed the Brits so I could go and see my mum, as I hadn’t seen her in about three months. I like to make sure she’s alright and I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and told her not to worry about me on the trek, but I’m sure she will.”

No comments: